Monday, May 26, 2014

IIS 7 Application Pool stops automatically

Once, there was a issue where my application pool was stopping automatically. When investigating the issue, I found that after restarting and browsing my web service, I found my web service saying "application unavailable". Again, my app pool had stopped.

In EventViewer I found, "HipIISEngineStub.dll failed to load". I did not install any "HipIISEngine" and was wondering what could be the issue. A little googling helped me resolve this issue in no time. It seems a McAfee update on my web server caused this issue.

I edited IIS 7.0 applicationHost.config file and remove the following configuration lines:
  • Edit %windir%\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config as Administrator.
  • In the <globalModules> section, remove the following line:
  • <add name=”MfeEngine” image=”%windir%\System32\inetsrv\HipIISEngineStub.dll” />
  • In the <modules> section, remove the following line:
  • <add name=”MfeEngine” />
  • Save the file, then restart IIS.

3 comments:

  1. And I thought you started blogging! Should have guessed geeky stuff antha :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not working after doing the steps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Vijay,
      Check your Event Viewer. My Event Viewer log had said: "HipIISEngineStub.dll failed to load".

      Delete